Music by The Refusers

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Easy To Make Garnish With Your Favorite Fruit Topping Cake


Easy To Make Garnish With Your Favorite Fruit Topping Cake

This is a recipe for a cake I often make and serve with old fahioned vanilla ice cream.  It's simple to prepare and can be topped with ones favorite fruit.   I like to make it when the local berries are in season but bake it year round.  It's quite OK with canned pineapple or frozen berries.

The recipe is called rhubarb cake from an old American cook book my mother passed on to me.  I have made it with rhubarb, pineapple (both fresh & canned), blackberries, blueberries, apples, pears, red currants, strawberries and raspberries.  My favorite is with a red currants topping.  The bushes in the yard are ripe so I picked some today and baked a cake earlier this afternoon.   Yum.

Here is the Recipe:

This is made in two stages.  I use the same bowl for all mixing.

Ingredients, Part 1:

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar   (I use 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon buttter melted on the stove
1 egg
1/2 cup milk   (I use a wee bit more to make it more moist)

Ingredients, Part 2 

3 cups rhubarb, small bits
1/2 cup sugar   ( I use sometimes 3 tablespoons depending on the fruit)
1 tablespoon of melted butter
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg   (I use just a few shakes of the spice bottle)

Mixing directions. 

Part 1:

Sift flour with baking powder, salt and sugar.   Stir in butter, egg and milk until all ingredients are moist.

Spread in a buttered 13 * 9 * 2 inch cake pan.  I use a round ceramic bake form.

Part 2:

Mix together butter, egg, sugar, flour, nutmeg and fruit of choice.  Spread fruit mixture on top of the cake batter.

Bake in a 350 F oven  (165 to 175 C oven in Europe) for 45 minutes.

Cool & serve with ice cream.

Note:  I use my American measuring tools I brought with me.  Google has conversion guides for dl to cup if you live in Europe.

Note:  Amount of the fruit topping that you use is up to you.  I tend to be a baker who likes to change recipes slightly every time I bake.  I have found a bit more milk and baking at a lower temp as 165 C makes for a more moist cake.


No comments: