Music by The Refusers

Monday, September 11, 2017

Those With A Bright Mind - A Poem by M.N. Hopkins



Those with a bright mind

Can be besieged by darkness

Remain shatterproof


© 2017 M.N. Hopkins

Note:  The inspiration for this poem came to me after viewing the above image.  The first line of this poem came to me directly and I spent a few hours after writing the next two lines.  I wrote it in the Haiku form of poetry which I believe makes one think and come to one's own unique insights.  I also thought about it some more and came up with a second version of the same poem by substituting one word in each of the lines giving it a slightly different meaning.

I have published these two poems for the first time on my blog today,  11 September 2017.

Click on the link below to read the second version of this poem to see if it gives you different feelings or insights:

3 comments:

Durandus said...

I feel like this thought could be drawn-out much further, and seems but a Step in a Direction worth exploring. I like stanzas for being amenable to lengthening a thought, particularly if rhyme and alliteration- momentum controls the meter, even as sonnets are fun for tying-up a thought on such Trajectory of rhetoric and suggestion. Nice irony is available here, and couplets come in all shapes and sizes, able also to support various tones of vocal enjambment.

Those of Bright Mind besiege Darkness
Remaining Shatter Proof in the Night-
More bold they are, these proud and strong
Than Angels in the throng
Or Super Nova stars.

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

I agree but I am limited by the haiku form. Thanks for your recommendations. Please write your own and submit it to awe and I would gladly publish it on my blog with credits to you.

Kind regards,
Mike

ps: Sorry for the long delay in answering your comment.

Tammy Schuler said...

I love this one. Having escaped the darkness, you find that your light is stronger.